Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Deluxe New Frontier HC available now!

Well, tomorrow, Wednesday, Feb. 11th, to be precise...

If you're here, you are probably familiar with Darwyn's epic New Frontier series, If not, scroll further down for the sales pitch part.

All the bells and whistles of the Absolute Edition of The New Frontier are collected into a more affordable, but still deluxe, hardcover and this version also includes the fantastic New Frontier Special one-shot featuring art and stories by Darwyn, Michael Cho, J. Bone and more!
















...and here's that sales pitch part for anyone not already familiar with the New Frontier:

Writer/illustrator Darwyn Cooke's critically acclaimed masterpiece DC: THE NEW FRONTIER is celebrated in this new edition featuring story pages, detailed annotations, alternate sequences and an extensive gallery of sketches, pinups, action figure art and much more! In the 1950s, Cold War paranoia has resulted in the mystery men of the Golden Age being outlaws. Stalwarts such as Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman continued to fight for truth and justice, but as the world hurtles toward an uncertain future, it would take a new breed of hero to define the American Way. DC: THE NEW FRONTIER takes readers on an epic journey from the end of the Golden Age of heroes to the beginnings of the legendary Justice League of America.

For the first time, DC collects the entire epic DC: THE NEW FRONTIER in a single collection, along with sketch and background material from the absolute edition.

Collects DC: THE NEW FRONTIER #1-6, JUSTICE LEAGUE: THE NEW FRONTIER SPECIAL #1 and material from ABSOLUTE DC: THE NEW FRONTIER.

Available at your local comic book shop, bookstore, or on-line retailer!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

This hardcover is absolutely stunning. I can't wait to dive into the annotated section.!

Unknown said...

"DC: The New Frontier" is one of my top five favorite comix/graphic novels (the others being "It's a Good Life if You Don't Weaken," "Cages," "The Silent Invasion," and "Winter Men"). And I really like having the entire story (original series, extra story pages from Absolute Edition, the Special, and all of the annotations in one edition. I do have a few minor quibbles, though:

-- Not super jazzed about the paper selection they chose. I'm fine with a matte finish, but this paper stock feels just a bit too thin.

-- I wish the production team had given more thought to the gutters in the book. The left and right pages seem to bleed together in the middle.

-- I was really hoping that they would have included the King Faraday story from Darwyn's "Solo" issue. That would have made this the truly definitive and complete edition of the "The New Frontier."

All in all, though, these are relatively minor criticisms. I've ordered to few extra copies to give to friends and family since I think this is the best representation of everything I've always loved about the DC characters.

(It's interesting to compare "DC: The New Frontier" to "The Ultimates 1 and 2" by Millar and Hitch. Both came out around the same time and both told essentially the same story (the origin of the Justice League and the origin of the Avengers). While "New Frontier" has aged beautifully and in many ways is better today than it was a decade ago, "The Ultimates" feels very, very dated (ironic since it was so fresh and contemporary and of the moment when it was originally released).)

Zaid Alawi said...

Just got mine today. Looking forward to diving into it, but I love the presentation.

I truly think the "Hardcover Deluxe" is the best format for epic stories and gorgeous art. They can manage the page count of longer (or multiple) stories, and have the page size to really show off the art - but aren't as unwieldy or difficult to manage as the "Absolute" format.

I just hope that IDW publishes a "Deluxe" version of the "Parker: Martini Edition." I've got the "Martini Edition," but I'd like a slightly more "readable" version.

Speaking of which, when are we going to see the 2nd "Martini Edition" for books 3 and 4?

Thom Trainor said...

Received a copy of this as a gift and am loving it.

Great work!

Andrew said...

Great art, do you have any of the more recent art for sale, such as the more recent DC covers? I looked on albertmoy, but they appear not to have any updates. Thanks.

marinobean said...

B
R
I
L
L
I
A
N
T !!!!

Unknown said...

Mr. Cooke,
I just finished reading this fantastic Volume and wanted to thank all involved. My son and I recently watched the animated movie and I loved it so much I decided to purchase this hard cover and read the original story.
This will reside on my top shelf as one of my all time favorites. Your work is very much appreciated.

Todd A. Coco